Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Some Firsts

Tyler is a very smart little boy if he puts his mind to it. Focusing on projects is something he really struggles with so I was so happy when he sat down and finished his 48 piece puzzle. Of course he had to get up a couple of times in between finishing it, but the point is he stuck with it and completed the puzzle! It is amazing what he can do when he puts his mind to it! He is learning to write his name at school and I noticed he was not making as much progress as I would have liked him to so I just sat him down and worked with him and he was able to complete yet another task. His teacher says she usually has to sit right over him to have him practice and I don't think he is really putting much effort forth. I am trying to help him to be determined and have good self esteem rather than giving up so easily or not trying or practicing when things are not easy at first. He will thank me in the long run if he knows it or not!!!
At the beginning of the new year Tyler became a Sunbeam! This means he gets to sit in a Sunday School class with the older children rather than being in nursery class. There is much more structure and sitting involved so I was nervous he would not do well. He really surprised me the first week when he sat in his seat and behaved!!! I am hoping he enjoyed himself and learned something as well! Tyler has always had a hard time sitting still, although lately he is doing a little better. With him it is like a light bulb, the light bulb is off and then all of a sudden he gets it and the light bulb turns on!
Happy New Year! Yup! Tyler got to stay up until Midnight! Crazy! But he had a great time and so did we! We were able to play our own games and the kids did their own thing. Good times!

My first refinishing project involving stripping paint! These projects look so easy until you get started and then you find out how overwhelming they can be. By the end of the project David always asks me to just go buy what ever it is I need because he somehow gets talked into helping me out or has to talk me down when I get frustrated!
I thought I could just sand the paint off, but that would have been too easy!! Some of it did come off, but the rest had to be stripped! Crazy!! I also had to hand sand the top drawer due to all of the detail work. These kind of projects are so satisfying as you can see below! Plus I saved so much money!!I had an ugly white cupboard before. It is amazing how you can get used to something so ugly and think it looks ok. This beauty is so much better and constructed much better as well!! Well worth my time!
Gobble, Gobble! My first Turkey! I brined it first and then cooked it upside down for a half hour and then flipped it for around 2 hrs. We had a great time with my mom and my Brothers family.

2 comments:

Lindy Lewis said...

I am impressed!!!! Look at you little betty crocker/martha stewart!!!!! Way to go! Your kids are getting so big! I wish we could meet up soon...

Colton Anne said...

I am way impressed with the cabinet/dresser. So cute!!